//This blog is updated in 2021//
Basic interior design concepts revolve around basic principles such as balance, rhythm, and harmony. In order to be outstanding in your design you need to understand these principles & designing concepts in depth. This is important when it comes to presenting ideas to clients, and sometimes to simply remind us to take different aspects into account.
There are 5 basic principles to consider when designing an interior space – balance, rhythm, harmony, emphasis, and proportion. Omitting any of these elements can be detrimental to your overall look-and-feel of your whole design, be warned!
More Interior Design Recommendations
- How to Feng Shui Your Bedroom? (Tips Updated 2020)
- Winners of “Reinventing Home Kitchen”- Design Contest 2016
- 22 Wall Materials and Paint Types You’ll Want to Share with Your Interior Designer in 2020
- 2020 Renovation Musts: What You Need to Know
- 10 Of The Best, Worst, And Most Unique Interior Design & Decoration Inspired XMas Gift Ideas in 2020
We briefly summarize these interior design principles:
- Balance refers to the proper distribution of visual weights within an area. The three main styles can be categorized as radial, symmetrical, and asymmetrical.
- Emphasis can be described as the focal points within a room that draw the viewer’s attention. Fireplaces, artwork and interesting furniture are examples of accesories used when creating emphasis in a room.
- Rhythm refers to the visual pattern reccurence and/or organized movement in the interior. Factors such as transition, progression and contrast need to be considered when taking rhythm into account.
- Harmony is the concept of thinking about the project in its totality. This is very different from just using the same elements throughout the building! Different parts of the property should complement each other and work together to reinforce the completeness of the whole project. Generally, colour schemes are a great way to pull different spaces together.
- Scale and proportion relate to the shape and size aspects when putting your designs together.
Be sure to check out our other infographics in our blog, where you can find home renovation tips and other tidbits shared by our network of international designers. Freshome is another great resource to look for different design-related information.
Check out our designer network’s portfolios showcasing their past property renovation projects – we’ve curated designers from a diverse background both culturally and stylistically. If you’re looking for inspiration for your project, be sure to browse through some of their portfolios.
If you need help with redesigning your bedroom or home, be sure to let us know via the contact form – we’re always happy to hear from you!
Enjoy this article? Don’t forget to share.